[Radiance-general] Slow rendering with transparant textures

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 14:55:47 PDT 2008

Hi Lars,

Although it helps up to a point to reduce the complexity of the .cal
expressions, it's more important to minimize the total number of such
modifiers in your rendering, since it's the overhead of the call
itself that's most significant.  For example, adding a functional
pattern to another functional pattern that uses a functional texture
and surface normal interpolation and a mapped picture with its own
(admittedly unavoidable) coordinate transformation, that's going to
be a lot slower than combining all the patterns into a single
precomputed image and having just one functional texture.

Since Iebele had many mixfunc calls, most of which rendered
transparent, this cost quite a bit in overhead.  In many cases it's
unavoidable, but bear in mind that any calculations using the
function files, while wonderfully programmable, cost quite a bit in
overhead (i.e., a few times the cost of a ray intersection) plus 2x
or more longer than the equivalent compiled math calls.

Does this make sense?

-Greg