[Radiance-general] 3ds import to Daysim

Annica Nilsson Annica.Nilsson at Angstrom.uu.se
Thu Nov 8 04:14:34 PST 2007

Hello All,

My name is Annica Nilsson and I am new to this mailing list. I have just
started my PhD studies at Uppsala University, Sweden, where my project
will be related to optical characterization, daylighting simulations,
and energy aspects. I am currently not a Mac user and I’ve therefore
chosen to work with Daysim. I understand that this is a radiance mailing
list, but I believe that Daysim is well-known to at least some of you,
and I’m hoping that you will be able to help me.

My problem is that when I import my SketchUp files to Daysim the
resulting material file references the ImportFrom3ds.geo.ra file rather
than the C:/DAYSIM/materials/ catalogue, which from my understanding is
the preferred reference.

This occurs for all materials in the SketchUp file that I have created
and for the glazing materials in the example file (PrivateOffices.3ds)
included with the Daysim program.

I’m using the DaysimMaterialsForSketchUp in my sketch and I have the
style set to “Monochrom” before I export the 3ds file. What else do I
need to think of when creating/exporting/importing my drawings?

I am new to the daylighting simulation world, but I’m hoping to learn,
and I appreciate any hints, ideas, comments and help I can get.

Best regards,
Annica