[Radiance-general] water - any news???

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Tue Nov 13 20:01:31 PST 2007

Hi Guilio,

I'm still catching up with e-mail after a week's absence.  This one
also required some thought...

It would be a fair amount of work, but it's possible to use rtcontrib
to give you a nice incident light field on the bottom of a swimming
pool.  You could then model this as a glow source and see it
reflected back through the wavy dielectric surface of the water.  If
you were extra-ambitious, you could even model the water's surface as
a height field, but it would have to be really choppy for that to
even matter, visually.

I would have to spend some time to create an example of this
approach, but the basic idea is to flag the surfaces defining the
underwater portion of the pool so they can gather rays using
rtcontrib.  You would have to also define bin numbers corresponding
to pixels in (5) low-resolution images you would create and map back
onto the surfaces for subsequent rendering.  The rays given to
rtcontrib would correspond to the solar radiation on a rectangle
covering the pool's surface.  Normalization for this data would
require a bit of math as well, but it's all doable.  I won't call it
easy.

-Greg