[Radiance-general] 3.8 Falsecolor Scale

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Sun Nov 12 08:28:41 CET 2006

On Nov 12, 2006, at 12:04 AM, Gregory J. Ward wrote:

> I never put in an option to set the falsecolor scale to the image
> maximum because it's usually the wrong thing to do.  There are
> often a few really bright pixels in a scene that may be orders of
> magnitude above the rest.  It's better to go in manually with
> ximage and use the 'l' key to pick out luminance values in the
> bright regions and set the scale based on those.

I think most Radiance users know how to use such an option with
caution.  If anything, it's a nice starting point, a way to see what
you're dealing with in a given scene.  I don't see how it's much
different from defaulting to '-s 1000'; certainly there is potential
there for gross misrepresentation of the luminous environment as well?