[Radiance-general] under water light fixtures

Ignacio Munarriz info at aisarquitectura.com
Tue Nov 7 10:11:51 CET 2006

"A dielectric material is transparent, and it refracts light as well as
reflecting it. Its behavior is determined
by the index of refraction and transmission coefficient in each wav
elength band per unit length.
Common glass has a index of refraction (n) around 1.5, and a
transmission coefficient of roughly 0.92 over
an inch. An additional number, the Hartmann constant, describes how the
index of refraction changes as a
function of wav elength. It is usually zero. (A pattern modifies only
the refracted value.)"

dielectric is needed to simulate water refraction

The problem with dielectric in Radiance is that direct light doesn't
know how to return to light sources when it cross dielectric, when you
are seeing a point under the water radiance tries to illuminate it with
direct light connecting it with direct lights with a stright line but
when it traces the ray to the direct light the ray deviates with
dielectric and it probably doesnt arrive to the light source(depending
on its size and angle of incidence with dielectric).
Probably you will get better results using photton mapping of roland
with dielectric surface,

example a 1.3 refractive index water

void dielectric water
0