[Radiance-general] under water light fixtures

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 02:39:12 CET 2006

Hi Christoph,

John is right.  If you want to see the light beam in the water, the
mist material is for you.  Follow the examples and stop the mist
volume right before the light source, and preferably just inside the
walls and water surface of your pool.  List the underwater light
source(s) in your mist's string arguments.  You should specify a high
scattering albedo (probably 0.97 0.99 0.99) and a fairly high H-G
constant (0.85 or so).

The water surface needs to be a dielectric as Ignacio indicates.  If
you apply a texture for a natural wavy appearance, you will see the
distorted bottom of your pool and the scattered beam of your source,
but you will be missing caustics from the water's surface on the pool
bottom and the surroundings above water, as Radiance doesn't know how
to calculate those properly.  Even without a texture, you won't get
proper illumination of the bottom from lights above, I'm afraid.  The
best you can hope for is sky contributions from the ambient calculation.

Attached is an example description of a 10 by 5 meter pool with two
(diffuse) lights.