[Radiance-general] [Help] Problem with ximage in 7.3.2

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Tue May 23 15:20:20 CEST 2006

Hi Oskar,

The formatting of your post is rather messed up, but I'll try to
reply in-line:

> thanks for your reply - as I have no reservations using the 3.1.11
> ximage on pics created with 3.7.2, that's fine for me.
>
> However, although in my original post I'd reported that compilaton
> of 3.7.2 on my SGI FUEL under IRIX 6.5.28/MipsPro 7.4.4/V12 works
> "ok" [since I'd only looked at the tail of the file into which I'd
> re-directed the output from <makeall install> and I'd read 'Done.'

Radiance compiles with the rmake -k option, which means that
compilation continues even when errors are encountered.  You can take
this off in the makeall script if you like.

> there, I'd not bothered further to wade thru all messages], upon
> closer inspection I did indeed find a few entries worth of comments
> - please bear with me for the nonce. First, here is my rmake command:
> 1. In directory px...
> 	rm -f [...]
> 	cd tiff; make distclean
> don't know how to make distclean (bu42).
> *** Error code 1 (bu21)
>
> Right now it escapes me why this doesn't work, as <Makefile> in tiff
> "does" have a target "distclean" indeed.

I've seen this problem before, but I don't know where it comes from.
I suspect that the latest TIFF library is using some non-standard
features of make that aren't supported on your system.  Not much I
can do to fix it because I don't understand the build on libtiff at all.

> 2. There are a number of
>
> sh: ranlib:  not found
> *** Error code 127 (bu21) (ignored)
>
> as IRIX doesn't have/need ranlib at all.

This should be no cause for concern.

> 3. More seriously, however,
>
> In directory hd...
> cc-1020 cc: ERROR File = rhd_ogl.c, Line = 367
>   The identifier "d" is undefined.
>
>   	d = eyesepdist / sqrt(nv->hn2);
>   	^
>
> 1 error detected in the compilation of "rhd_ogl.c".
> *** Error code 2 (bu21)
>
> So I wonder why compilaton hasn't just stopped there in the first
> place???

The compilation continued because of the -k option, as mentioned
above.  This is a bug introduced some years ago no doubt in one of
Georg Mischler's code clean-ups.  Almost no one uses -DSTEREO, which
is why it wasn't noticed before.  Just add a "double d;" declaration
at the top of the routine and it should be OK.  Let me know if you
run across anything else -- I've checked in a fix for the next release.

> 4. Although I've quite rarely seen a package which produces almost
> no warnings [Radiance is a very satisfactory exception - applause
> to you!!!],

Actually, you have Georg to thank for that.  I used to just ignore
warnings, which accumulated over the years as C compilers got more
and more finicky.   Schorsch went in and fixed most  of them.

> I do get a whole bunch of them when
>
> In directory px...
>         cd ../libtiff ; make install
>
> While you seem to use tiff-3.7.3 in Radiance 3.7.2, I've gotten
> most of these warnings also when I compiled the stand-alone tiff-3.8.2
> before - so, I can live with them [and I don't blame you at all
> there :-)]. On the other hand, though, I see
>
> Libtiff is now configured for mips-sgi-irix6.5
>
>   Installation directory:             /usr/local
>
> although libtiff is indeed later installed in src/lib as wanted...

Like I said, I don't understand libtiff compilation, and I just
struggle to get it to do anything reasonable at all.

> 5. BTW, upon installation of Radiance 3.7.2, I get a directory
>
> <...>/test/test data/
>
> [note the blank in the dir name], and I can't access files in there
> at all:
>
> IRIS 121 $ cd /disk03/mephisto/source/radiance_3.7.2/test/test data
> ksh: /disk03/mephisto/source/radiance_3.7.2/test/test:  not found

This is part of Georg's test suite, which is another thing I don't
understand.  I think he has the spaces in there for a reason, but I
don't recall what it was.

> OK, I'd run <makeall clean> - this time I got no error (!) with
>
> In directory px...
> 	rm -f [...]
> 	cd tiff; make distclean
>
> [although .o/.lo are not cleaned out in tiff/libtiff at all - I
> deleted
> them
> manually], but I got a new error:
>
> Making distclean in man
> make: file `Makefile' line 292: Syntax error
> *** Error code 1 (bu21)
> *** Error code 1 (bu21)
> *** Error code 1 (bu21)
>
> which I didn't have when compiling the stand-alone tiff-3.8.2.

Libtiff again.  Dunno.   Dunno.   Dunno.

> Anyway, prompted by 3) above, in <...>/src//hd/rhd_ogl.c, I added
>
> 326a327
>>         double d;
> [guessed from similiar usages of d in the same .c], and this error
> went
> upon a fresh <makeall install>.

Yeah, that's the right thing to do -- didn't read this far before my
response.

> However, as my original ximage problem was still there, I installed
> 3.7.2 also on my SGI INDIGO2 [IRIX 6.5.22/MipsPro 7.4.2/GR2] and
> afterwards the 3.7.2 ximage worked on it fine! So, I copied the
> 3.7.2 ximage as generated on the INDIGO2 to the FUEL - but I got
> only the original problem again. Then I copied the 3.7.2 image as
> generated on the FUEL to the INDIGO2 but understandibly it didn't
> run there at all:
>
> ksh: ximage: Program not supported by architecture
>
> So, my conclusions are:
>
> 1. There is something wrong on my FUEL, or
>
> 2. Radiance 3.7.2 doesn't work properly anymore on the FUEL [to
> repeat:
>    ximage after recompilation of 3.1.11 on the FUEL works quite
> well there]...

I wish I could follow what you just said.  What do you get if you cd
to ray/src/px and just run "rmake ximage" there?