[Radiance-general] [Help] Problem with ximage in 7.3.2

Itzinger, Oskar oitzinger at opec.org
Tue May 23 09:25:55 CEST 2006

Greg,

thanks for your reply - as I have no reservations using the 3.1.11
ximage on
pics created with 3.7.2, that's fine for me.

However, although in my original post I'd reported that compilaton of
3.7.2
on my SGI FUEL under IRIX 6.5.28/MipsPro 7.4.4/V12 works "ok" [since I'd
only
looked at the tail of the file into which I'd re-directed the output
from
<makeall install> and I'd read 'Done.' there, I'd not bothered further
to wade
thru all messages], upon closer inspection I did indeed find a few
entries
worth of comments - please bear with me for the nonce. First, here is my

rmake command:

#!/bin/sh
exec make "SPECIAL=ogl" \
	"OPT=-O2 -DSPEED=200" \
	"MACH=-w" \
	ARCH=sgi "COMPAT=strcmp.o" \
	INSTDIR=/disk03/mephisto/source/radiance_3.7.2/bin \
	LIBDIR=/disk03/mephisto/source/radiance_3.7.2/lib \
	ESUFFIX= \
	 "$@" -f Rmakefile

Since 'New rmake command -- running "makeall clean"...', that's what is
executed initially. Then:

1. In directory px...
	rm -f [...]
	cd tiff; make distclean
don't know how to make distclean (bu42).
*** Error code 1 (bu21)

Right now it escapes me why this doesn't work, as <Makefile> in tiff
"does"
have a target "distclean" indeed.

2. There are a number of

sh: ranlib:  not found
*** Error code 127 (bu21) (ignored)

as IRIX doesn't have/need ranlib at all.

3. More seriously, however,

In directory hd...
cc-1020 cc: ERROR File = rhd_ogl.c, Line = 367
  The identifier "d" is undefined.

  	d = eyesepdist / sqrt(nv->hn2);
  	^

1 error detected in the compilation of "rhd_ogl.c".
*** Error code 2 (bu21)

So I wonder why compilaton hasn't just stopped there in the first
place???

4. Although I've quite rarely seen a package which produces almost no
warnings
[Radiance is a very satisfactory exception - applause to you!!!], I do
get a
whole bunch of them when

In directory px...
	cd ../libtiff ; make install

While you seem to use tiff-3.7.3 in Radiance 3.7.2, I've gotten most of
these
warnings also when I compiled the stand-alone tiff-3.8.2 before - so, I
can
live with them [and I don't blame you at all there :-)]. On the other
hand,
though, I see

Libtiff is now configured for mips-sgi-irix6.5

  Installation directory:             /usr/local

although libtiff is indeed later installed in src/lib as wanted...

5. BTW, upon installation of Radiance 3.7.2, I get a directory

<...>/test/test data/

[note the blank in the dir name], and I can't access files in there at
all:

IRIS 121 $ cd /disk03/mephisto/source/radiance_3.7.2/test/test data
ksh: /disk03/mephisto/source/radiance_3.7.2/test/test:  not found

OK, I'd run <makeall clean> - this time I got no error (!) with

In directory px...
	rm -f [...]
	cd tiff; make distclean

[although .o/.lo are not cleaned out in tiff/libtiff at all - I deleted
them
manually], but I got a new error:

Making distclean in man
make: file `Makefile' line 292: Syntax error
*** Error code 1 (bu21)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)

which I didn't have when compiling the stand-alone tiff-3.8.2.

Anyway, prompted by 3) above, in <...>/src//hd/rhd_ogl.c, I added

326a327
>         double d;

[guessed from similiar usages of d in the same .c], and this error went
upon
a fresh <makeall install>.

However, as my original ximage problem was still there, I installed
3.7.2 also
on my SGI INDIGO2 [IRIX 6.5.22/MipsPro 7.4.2/GR2] and afterwards the
3.7.2
ximage worked on it fine! So, I copied the 3.7.2 ximage as generated on
the
INDIGO2 to the FUEL - but I got only the original problem again. Then I
copied the 3.7.2 image as generated on the FUEL to the INDIGO2 but
understandibly it didn't run there at all:

ksh: ximage: Program not supported by architecture

So, my conclusions are:

1. There is something wrong on my FUEL, or

2. Radiance 3.7.2 doesn't work properly anymore on the FUEL [to repeat:
   ximage after recompilation of 3.1.11 on the FUEL works quite well
there]...

Presently, I'm just stuck...

Anyhow, thanks for wading thru this long post...

/oskar

> Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 09:07:52 -0700
> From: "Gregory J. Ward" <gregoryjward at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] [Help] Problem with ximage in 7.3.2
> To: Radiance general discussion <radiance-general at radiance-online.org>
>
> Hi Oskar,
>
> I have not had any other reports of any problems with the latest
> version of ximage in 8-bit mode, but it's difficult to find hardware
> these days that even supports 8-bit color lookups.  There may
> well be
> a bug, but I can't find it if I can't find hardware on which to
> reproduce the problem.
>
> Maybe you can just continue to use the old binary for ximage, if
> that's working.  I can see no reason why not to -- it isn't
> as if the
> Radiance picture format has changed in any incompatible way.
>
> -Greg
>
> > From: "Itzinger, Oskar" <oitzinger at opec.org>
> > Date: May 15, 2006 12:30:03 AM PDT
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Very long time ago I'd compiled Radiance 3.1.11 on my SGI Indigo2
> > [IRIX
> > 6.5.22, MipsPro 7.3.2] and it did run fine - but then I forgot
> > about it.
> >
> > Just recently, however, I recompiled 3.1.11 on my new SGI Fuel
> > [IRIX 6.5.28,
> > MipsPro 7.4.4, V12] and everything worked as before.
> >
> > So, I decided to upgrade to Radiance 3.7.2 on my Fuel [same OS &
> > same compiler
> > as above]. It compiled ok, but <ximage> seems now somehow to be
> > broken - all
> > my pictures (ok under 3.1.11 on my Fuel) are completly wrong color-
> > wise and
> > look almost like as if produced via fractint :-).
> >
> > I feel something with the colortable routines is amiss, but I've no
> > idea what it could be [I tried different values for DSPEED
> - but no
> > success;
> > also changing the value of <set special> in <makeall> from
> "ogl" to
> > "tiff" to
> > "sgi" didn't help any].
> >
> > BTW, if I convert the pics with ra_tiff and view them [on my Fuel
> > with vstiff],
> > they are ok.
> >
> > Your hints are certainly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> > /oskar

DISCLAIMER

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and may be legally privileged and/or confidential. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this e-mail or any of its attachment(s) by unintended recipient may be unlawful and is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail and permanently delete the original e-mail and attachment(s) from your computer system.

Any opinions contained in this message are those of the author and are not given or endorsed by OPEC, unless otherwise clearly indicated in the message, and the authority of the author to so bind OPEC is duly verified. OPEC does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information contained in the e-mail content transmitted over the Internet.

Thank you for your cooperation.