[Radiance-general] lighting fixtures data

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 13:30:45 CET 2006

Hi WIll,

Funny you should mention this, because here I find myself attending
Rob Shakespeare's "Virtual Scenography in Live Performance" symposium
at Indiana University <http://www.indiana.edu/~vslp/>, where a bunch
of theater types and researchers are gathered talking about lighting,
simulation, and the like.

I will definitely ask Rob if he has any data, and maybe he'll respond
with some pointers as well.  Are you planning to input this directly
into Radiance, or do you have other tools in mind as well?  (I.e., do
you need IES format data, or can you get by with something not easily
converted to IES?)

The reason I ask is that I've been toying with HDR imaging as a quick
and convenient method to get at certain types of photometry, where
the projection angle is small but the pattern potentially complex --
i.e., theater lighting instruments.  The method is simple, but there
are a few details to work out.  Basically, you set your instrument
and point it at a blank wall or ceiling or some diffuse, white
surface large enough to encompass the beam.  Then, you take an HDR
photograph of the beam pattern.  The part I haven't worked out
completely is using this as input to Radiance, but if you have some
basic distance and beam size measurements, this should be
straightforward.

You would of course need a reasonable digital camera -- SLRs are
generally better due to the better flare characteristics of their
lenses, and access to the light instrument of interest and a dark
room to do the measurements.  If this is of interest, I would be
happy to help you assemble an example photometric distribution as a
proof of concept.

-Greg