[Radiance-general] Luminance meter

Randolph Fritz randolph at panix.com
Mon Jun 26 17:40:14 CEST 2006

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 12:01:30PM +0100, Raquel Viula wrote:
> Dear all
> I'm looking into buying a Luminance meter in order to carry out some light
> measurements in urban open spaces. The ideia is to have some sort of
> reference values in key open spaces of different configuration and surface
> materials, that we can use as a basis to understand what the brightness
> values we get in our simulated scenes actually mean in the real world.

Photographic spot meters for luminance measurements, and photographic
incident light meters for illuminance measurements, though it does
take some calculation to go from exposure values to luminance and
illuminance values.  Used photographic meters cost much less than a
new LS100, and there are many good ones available.

See <http://www.vsg.cape.com/~pbaum/meter1.htm>.  If you really need
lots of specific info about light meters, see *The Hand Exposure Meter
Book*, by Hirschfeld, et al. (not seen, but I know one of the authors by reputation).

Randolph