[Radiance-general] PC hardware advice

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Sun Jun 25 21:09:06 CEST 2006

Hi Bob,

I'll chip into what Mark and Ian indicated. First off Mark's benchmark
page is very useful, so do make sure to take a look. All of our
production render servers are dual cpu AMD machines, these range from
some of the first Athlon MP systems to more recent Opterons. We have not
yet had the opportunity to look at any dual core systems, when we do AMD
will be the top of the list. It has been many years since I really
looked into it carefully. But initially the price/perfomance was pretty
well in AMD's favor. You might want to pole more broadly among others
doing scientific simulation (cfd for example) and see what kind of
hardware they are using.

As far as graphics cards are concerned, this does not effect rendering
speed, however it may have some impact on viewing the images, perhaps
others can provide some good input on this particularly from the
standpoint of calibration...? It might also be interesting to see
if/when (and how much) the new HDR display devices will be available and
what some of the hardware requirements are.

I would certainly suggest 2G of RAM, this should not increase the price
very much. If you do not want to do a dual processor system, you can
probably assemble a cheap system from parts for ~$800 or less (this
asssumes a downloaded linux distribution such as Fedora Core), which I
think is amazing compared to what I remember paying for our first
production machines back in 1996 (~$4,000 per machine, ouch).

-Jack