[Radiance-general] Sunlight through glass

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Tue Jan 17 22:39:04 CET 2006

Hi Kirk,

It is interesting to see some of these comments. I am not exactly clear
on the problem that they are trying to solve though. But I think one
thing to keep in mind is that a lot of people (architects, designers and
the architectural rendering folks) have a lot of pre-conceived ideas
about how light should behave and how a scene should appear. These
preconceptions can lead to a lot of problems when it comes to evaluating
or simulating physical performance.

-Jack

Kirk Thibault wrote:

> So I've been following this raging debate over at the Maxwell Render
> forums regarding the physical accuracy of renderers and the specific
> problem of visualizing the following scenario, to the best of my
> understanding:
>
> Architectural rendering folks want a renderer that can accurately
> depict sunlight, through glass into the interior of a space.  They
> want this interior lighting to be visualizable from the exterior of
> the space as if you were standing outside with your camera, looking
> through the window, into the interior of the space.
>
> here are some quotes:
>
> 1.
> - - - - - - -
> No one has presented a proper sollution to this problem.
> I´m referring to rendering an interior space seen from an outside view
> in sunlight, trough glass without cheating.
>
> This is a milestome in 3d art!!
> If the MR team feel confident to deliver this in due time ok!!
>  - - - - - -
>
> 2.
>  --  - - -
> I assume you mean it would be a milestone for Maxwell? Every other
> renderer I've ever seen can handle this very easily.
>  - - - - -
>
> 3.
>  - - - - -
> he key is that he said "without cheating".
>
> No other renderers can do it in the physically correct way. They all
> make it up.
>  - - - - -
> etc.
>

> Is this a difficult rendering scenario for RADIANCE or any other
> renderer or are these people missing something?  There are some
> seriously pissed off people in the Maxwell Render forums, especially a
> lot of architect types who seem to think that the beta releases of M-R
> should solve all of their problems. I was more curious about the
> ability of Radiance to handle this type of scenario versus M-R which
> claims to be a physically-based renderer.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Let me also be very clear that, after reading the vituperous
>
> kirk
> ------------------------------
>
> Kirk L. Thibault, Ph.D.
> kthibault at biomechanicsinc.com <mailto:kthibault at biomechanicsinc.com>
>
> p.  215.271.7720
> f.   215.271.7740
> c.  267.918.6908
>
> skype. kirkthibault

# Jack de Valpine
# president
#
# visarc incorporated
# http://www.visarc.com
#
# channeling technology for superior design and construction