[Radiance-general] HDR

Kirk Thibault kthibault at biomechanicsinc.com
Mon Jan 16 17:49:46 CET 2006

IMHO, HDRI may or may not require the color reproduction and
saturation to be as accurate or appealing.  IIt seems to me that, in
general, saturation and color issues are less important when using a
HDRI for image-based lighting than when using the technique of
converting a sequence of LDRI to a single HDRI for increased dynamic
range in a tone-mapped photograph, where the final output will be an
image of the scene as opposed to a light probe image for IBL.

Could hdrgen/Photosphere possibly benefit from more control over tone-
mapping in a way similar to the CameraRaw presents options for
exposing a RAW image?  If the use of HDRI for general photography
(which I am really getting interested in, BTW) would other users find
it useful to expand the ability of hdrgen/Photosphere to present the
user more control over the tone mapping process?  This kind of
discussion could probably fill a whole new forum, and I would be all
for it, if it is not too much of a hassle.

Interesting as always!

kirk

Kirk L. Thibault, Ph.D.
kthibault at biomechanicsinc.com