[Radiance-general] HDR

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 17:14:14 CET 2006

Hi Jack, Axel,

I agree that a separate HDRI mailing list makes sense, if Peter A-B
is willing to set one up.  I would certainly participate, and it
would save those who may not be interested from our noise.

Regarding color in HDR images, this really falls under the category
of tone-mapping.  Most film and digital cameras increase color
saturation according to well-worn practices, which may be found in
R.W.G. Hunt's classic tome on color management, "The Reproduction of
Colour" (ISBN 0-470-02425-9).  Unfortunately, few tone-mapping
algorithms actually pay much attention to preference with respect to
color, and I know of at least two reasons why not:

1) People prefer increased gamma or saturation on their colors, which
happens to correspond to less dynamic range in the reproduction -- in
other words, boosting saturation makes it difficult to represent your
larger luminance range.

2) Increasing saturation, or even leaving it alone, while compressing
an image's dynamic range makes colors look *too* saturated in many
images, because a loss in contrast is often read as haze by the human
visual system, and your brain compensates by imagining the colors to
be more saturated than they appear.

That said, you can of course play around with the gamma when you
convert to 24-bit/pixel formats, and get a boost in contrast and
saturation that way.  Sometimes the results will be nicer, oftentimes
they will be worse.  To boost contrast/saturation, try:

	pcond capture.hdr | ra_tiff -g 1.6 - boosted.tif

To reduce contrast/saturation try:

	pcond capture.hdr | ra_tiff -g 2.7 - reduced.tif

There are more sophisticated ways to play around with contrast and
saturation separately using pcomb, but I'm not sure you gain that
much by them.

-Greg