[Radiance-general] HDR

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 18:37:21 CET 2006

Hi Kirk,

Peter is quick.  He has just set up a new mailing list, hdri at radiance-
online.org, which I suggest you subscribe to and we will move the
discussion there.

HDRI generation is a separate issue from tone-mapping, and although
Photosphere attempts to do both, it only makes a weak effort in the
tone-mapping department.  Hdrgen makes no effort to tone-map images,
and it should not.  In fact, I don't recommend tone-mapping HDR
images into HDR, but directly into the destination display's color
space, as an HDR image should maintain it's scene-referred color
space.  Some of these issues are discussed and spelled out on
hdrsoft's excellent FAQ page:

	http://www.hdrsoft.com/resources/dri.html

Since you bring up RAW (also discussed by hdrsoft), I should mention
that although it is tempting to shoot RAW in preparation for creating
HDR images, I have found it not to be helpful in most cases.  The
additional range/resolution obtained is modest, and the confusion
resulting from the many "development" options you mention means that
reproducibility is an issue.  Unless you have a method to go straight
from RAW into HDRI, you are better off shooting high-quality JPEGs on
most cameras.

I'll make an announcement under a new topic about the HDRI mailing
list, and let's continue the discussion there.

-Greg