[Radiance-general] HDR

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Mon Jan 16 16:53:24 CET 2006

Hi Axel,

It seems to me that HDRI is quite relevant to this community, as there
are a variety of people interested in the topic. Perhaps we should ask:

   1. is this topic appropriate for this particular radiance list
      (radiance-general)
   2. if not would it be worth it to set up a
      radiance-hdri at radiance-online.org

-Jack

Axel Jacobs wrote:

>Hullo again,
>
>I would like to move this off-list because I do realise that all these
>questions about HDRI are only of peripheral interest to the RADIANCE
>community at large. However, a quick Google tought me that the majority of
>HDR discussion seem to be going on at
>http://www.hyperfocaldesign.com/,
>and frankly, it doesn't seem to cut the custard for me. So please DO tell
>me if there is a more appropriate List to direct this one to...
>
>And 'ere we go:
>
>I've just put up a few more examples on the WebHDR Gallery page, and
>noticed that all of the tonemapped images are rather desaturated, compared
>to what you get when hitting the old 'Do-it-all-for-me-Button' in Auto
>Mode. I understand that most if not all digital consumer cameras do some
>jigger-pokery colour gamut stretching, so the photos look a bit nicer.
>However, my understanding is that once you've done an HDR, you can do all
>sorts of things to it, probablay including those colour transform
>things...
>
>Since I am processing all results of WebHDR with RADIANCE tools, I was
>wondering if there is a way of putting the colour-vibrancy back into the
>tone mapped imaged.
>
>Cheers
>
>Axel

# Jack de Valpine
# president
#
# visarc incorporated
# http://www.visarc.com
#
# channeling technology for superior design and construction