[Radiance-general] MacBook Pro Report

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at arcor.de
Tue Feb 28 19:13:54 CET 2006

On 28.02.2006, at 18:24, Greg Ward wrote:

> Beware -- the -fast option may compile fine, but the binaries on the
> PowerPC have been notoriously faulty.  Render with caution...

I started with "-fast" and got solid black images with rpict. Then I
removed some of the options, recompiled, tested and added all of them
back again except for "-malign-natural". I hope for Rob that this will
not be a problem on Intel CPUs.

> If you use tee, be sure to redirect standard error to it as well,
> using |& in the C-shell or 1>&2 in bash (I think).

I knew I was missing something with that command line. As bas as
GNU man pages are in general, they have better examples ...

>> Thanks for the heads up.  Believe it or not, I haven't had a need
>> for fink on the old computer, but I thought I may install it on the
>> new one, so I'll keep your warning in mind.
>
> Fink, eww.  I installed it back when I was getting started on Darwin,
> because I thought I needed a utility.  10 hours of compiling later,
> I had 100's of tools, but the one I wanted still wouldn't compile.
> The dependency tree on that system is a nightmare....

It's much better now, then, though I really don't know why I have
to download 350 MB of LaTeX just to get a 300 kB Python module ...
Now that I have a "basic" fink installation I prefer to

"fink install foo"

than solving all those dependencies myself. I'm definitely spoiled
by three years of Debian.

Thomas