[Radiance-general] MacBook Pro Report

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 18:24:25 CET 2006

Hi Rob,

> From: Rob Guglielmetti <rpg at rumblestrip.org>
> Date: February 28, 2006 9:06:41 AM PST
>
> Thomas Bleicher wrote:
>
>> For the PowerPC version I started with the "-fast" option the Apple
>> gcc provides. Didn't work but it would have been a nice shortcut for
>> maximum performance settings. Does your Intel gcc have a similar
>> option (see man page)?
>
> It does, thanks Thomas.  I just recompiled with -fast instead of -
> O3, and got no errors at all (thanks again for the "tee tip").  I
> will try to run the Stock benchmark today.  All the test scenes in
> the obj directory really fly!  The cabin holodeck scene is a lot
> more fun to play with on this thing. =8-)

Beware -- the -fast option may compile fine, but the binaries on the
PowerPC have been notoriously faulty.  Render with caution...

The tee command is great, but you don't really need it as the "File"
menu in Terminal can save any selected text to a file, and of course
there's always cut and paste.  If you use tee, be sure to redirect
standard error to it as well, using |& in the C-shell or 1>&2 in bash
(I think).

> Thanks for the heads up.  Believe it or not, I haven't had a need
> for fink on the old computer, but I thought I may install it on the
> new one, so I'll keep your warning in mind.

Fink, eww.  I installed it back when I was getting started on Darwin,
because I thought I needed a utility.  10 hours of compiling later, I
had 100's of tools, but the one I wanted still wouldn't compile.  The
dependency tree on that system is a nightmare....