[Radiance-general] MacBook Pro Report

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Tue Feb 28 18:06:41 CET 2006

Thomas Bleicher wrote:

> For the PowerPC version I started with the "-fast" option the Apple
> gcc provides. Didn't work but it would have been a nice shortcut for
> maximum performance settings. Does your Intel gcc have a similar
> option (see man page)?

It does, thanks Thomas.  I just recompiled with -fast instead of -O3,
and got no errors at all (thanks again for the "tee tip").  I will try
to run the Stock benchmark today.  All the test scenes in the obj
directory really fly!  The cabin holodeck scene is a lot more fun to
play with on this thing. =8-)

> Q1: Did you have the X11 development stuff installed when you compiled
>     Radiance? IIRC it has to be selected manually.

Yeah, it was installed when I installed xcode.  I don't recall having to
specifically tell the installer to install the X11 devel stuff, but it
was certainly there when I compiled Radiance.  No errors, and I have
ximage and rvu, etc.

>> PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
>

> Word of warning: It is common on Unix systems to place the non-system
> path ("/usr/local", "/opt" etc.) in front of the system path....

Thanks for the heads up.  Believe it or not, I haven't had a need for
fink on the old computer, but I thought I may install it on the new one,
so I'll keep your warning in mind.

> Any reason why you don't use
>
> if [ ! ${DISPLAY} ]; then
>
> as you did with SSH_TTY?

the reason it's written the way it is, is that's the way it was written
on the tip website that I copied the code from.  =)

> My cat recently peed on my laptop which is the reason I have to look
> for a new one now. Furry beasts!

Yikes!!  Guess you were spending too much time on the computer and not
enough time petting the cat.  They get jealous.  =8-)  I think we'd have
a serious problem if Emma peed on my new computer though...