[Radiance-general] MacBook Pro Report

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at arcor.de
Tue Feb 28 10:41:03 CET 2006

On 28.02.2006, at 07:16, Rob Guglielmetti wrote:

> Anyway, once I got x-code installed, I was able to compile Radiance
> straight away. I guessed at the compile options, sort-of combining
> the linux and OSX gcc options from the makefile.  Here's the case I
> created:
>
> case 8:                 # MacOS X on Intel
>         set mach="-DBSD -DNOSTEREO -Dfreebsd -I/usr/X11R6/include -
> L/usr/X11R6/lib"
>         set opt="-O3"
>         set arch=IBMPC
>         set extras="CC=cc"
>         set special="ogl"
>         breaksw

For the PowerPC version I started with the "-fast" option the Apple
gcc provides. Didn't work but it would have been a nice shortcut for
maximum performance settings. Does your Intel gcc have a similar
option (see man page)?

> I got some errors, but at this point everything seemed to compile.
> I'd be happy to share the errors if someone wants to tell me how
> the heck to save the make output to a file (the errors scrolled off
> the screen before I could read them).

sudo ./makeall install | tee makeall.out

(I'd include a "man tee" as well but the BSD man page for tee is
rather concise.)

> Then I installed X11 from the included CDs, and created
> a .bash_profile
> file that looks like this:

Q1: Did you have the X11 development stuff installed when you compiled
     Radiance? IIRC it has to be selected manually.

> PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH

Word of warning: It is common on Unix systems to place the non-system
path ("/usr/local", "/opt" etc.) in front of the system path. As long
as your only installing Radiance that's no problem. Fink or any other
package that provides file utils ("mv", "cp", "rm" ...) should be listed
only _after_ the system path on OS X. These tools have special knowledge
of the OS X file system (resource forks) that common Unix/GNU binaries
don't have. It would cause no damage but if you copy a file on the
command line you want it to appear in Finder as well. This would not
happen if your bash selects the fink "cp" because it's the first in
the search path.

> RAYPATH=.:/usr/local/lib/ray
> export PATH RAYPATH
>
> # if we're not SSH'd in
> if [ ! ${SSH_TTY} ]; then
> # make sure X is running
> if [ "`ps -x | awk '{print $5}' | grep X11`" = "" ]; then
> open /Applications/Utilities/X11.app &
> # then refocus Terminal.app
> osascript -e 'tell appliction "Terminal" to activate'
> fi
> # if DISPLAY isn't set
> if [ x${DISPLAY} = x ]; then
> export DISPLAY=:0
> fi
> fi

Any reason why you don't use

if [ ! ${DISPLAY} ]; then

as you did with SSH_TTY?

> Then I was able to run some test scenes from the obj directory
> (I haven't even begun to move all my files from my old computer),
> and they ran fine (and fast).

My cat recently peed on my laptop which is the reason I have to look
for a new one now. Furry beasts!

Thanks for sharing your information.

Thomas