[Radiance-general] MacBook Pro Report

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Tue Feb 28 07:16:58 CET 2006

Well, I got my MacBook Pro today, and have been playing with it this
evening a bit. Update:

It does not want to play nice with my wireless router, so I had to
steal bandwidth from a neighbor who has a slow connection and no
awareness of wireless security. Spent 3 hours downloading X-code so I
could compile Radiance, then discovered that it was on the CDs that
came with the computer.  Duh.

Anyway, once I got x-code installed, I was able to compile Radiance
straight away. I guessed at the compile options, sort-of combining
the linux and OSX gcc options from the makefile.  Here's the case I
created:

case 8:                 # MacOS X on Intel
         set mach="-DBSD -DNOSTEREO -Dfreebsd -I/usr/X11R6/include -L/
usr/X11R6/lib"
         set opt="-O3"
         set arch=IBMPC
         set extras="CC=cc"
         set special="ogl"
         breaksw

I got some errors, but at this point everything seemed to compile.
I'd be happy to share the errors if someone wants to tell me how the
heck to save the make output to a file (the errors scrolled off the
screen before I could read them).  Then I installed X11 from the
included CDs, and created a .bash_profile file that looks like this:

PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
RAYPATH=.:/usr/local/lib/ray
export PATH RAYPATH

# if we're not SSH'd in
if [ ! ${SSH_TTY} ]; then
# make sure X is running
if [ "`ps -x | awk '{print $5}' | grep X11`" = "" ]; then
open /Applications/Utilities/X11.app &
# then refocus Terminal.app
osascript -e 'tell appliction "Terminal" to activate'
fi
# if DISPLAY isn't set
if [ x${DISPLAY} = x ]; then
export DISPLAY=:0
fi
fi

Then I was able to run some test scenes from the obj directory (I
haven't even begun to move all my files from my old computer), and
they ran fine (and fast).

Greg, the Universal binary of Photosphere loaded (instantly), but I
have no catalogs or images on here yet, so all I can say is it loads.

More later for sure.  I plan to run Mark Stock's benchmark test and
play with the holodeck on here, but right now I need to put some
music on this thing and my cat is screaming for her catnip.

- Rob Guglielmetti