[Radiance-general] Mesh Rendering Performance

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 18:06:28 CET 2006

Hi Lars,

The only part that is common between a Radiance triangle mesh and an
octree (as used for an instance primitive) is the octree data
structure itself.  The mesh is stored very differently from a set of
Radiance primitives -- a quick look at src/common/mesh.h should
convince you of that.  I had to add a function pointer to the RAY
structure in order that the specialized intersection routine would be
called, interpreting the OBJECT id's as indices into the mesh patch
list.

Other than the different primitive name, you can treat meshes just
like instances.  Is it so inconvenient to swap the primitive name?
It was a bit of work to get them to look and behave the same...  Now
you want them to be the same?

I'm confused.
-Greg