[Radiance-general] Mesh Rendering Performance

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 22:42:36 CET 2006

I spent a little time looking at the Moeller-Trumbore ray-triangle
intersection routine.  I could in principal apply their technique
rather than the Segura-Feito method I'm using.  In comparison, the M-
T algorithm requires one less cross-product, but two more divides
than S-F.  Furthermore, M-T computes the Barycentric coordinates and
intersection distance simultaneously, which I end up having to
compute following a successful test.  However, I wouldn't be able to
cache edges like I am with S-F, which probably saves 40% of the
computation time.  Since I reject between 5 and 10 triangles for
every intersection I end up computing, and only calculate Barycentric
coordinates on at most one ray per mesh, my gut feeling is that the M-
T algorithm would actually be slower if I were to replace the S-F
algorithm I have in there.  Of course, you are welcome to try it.
There is also a fair amount of room for optimizing the code in there
using assembler, but I never bother with that....