[Radiance-general] Mesh Rendering Performance

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Sun Feb 26 10:38:23 CET 2006

Hi,

just tried out, replaces my meshes by obj2rad-oconv-generated
instances. May be faster, but now my rpict-process takes 1.4 GB instead
of 700 MB ;-) So I guess I will have to stay with those "slow"
meshes...

CU Lars.

P.S.: Concerning optimizations: I think trying to introduce assembler
into radiance code is a bad idea, as it breaks portability, a great
strength of the current code. Still, I think one should think about if
the code could not be written to be more vector-friendly. Than
compilers could do the rest (auto-vectorization is even in gcc since
4.0), and those who want to try (like me ;-) could simple replace some
functions. Some ideas would be like passing not only one ray, but ray
clusters to the subfunctions, so that these could be implemented to do
calculations in parallel. Another help would be to replace the
unflexible datatypes by unions. I ran into trouble when I just wanted
to Altivec some routines. As mat4, fvec etc are simply arrays, I have
to get the data in a altivec-suitable format, which causes overhead. If
they had been e.g. unions (containing nothing but an array), I would
have simply changed this to be an union of array and vector. All
unchanged functions would work as now, and still I could directly apply
altivec code on data. Those who think altivec is out because Apple
build x86: this year we might see the first cell-processor machines.
And vector units are built into almost all platforms today.