[Radiance-general] ranimate, recovering from broken rpicts?

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Sun Feb 19 14:10:11 CET 2006

Hi!

> I agree with Greg, and I think you can launch rpict -ro directly
> on your "master" node and wait for automatic migration,
> or use the "runon" or "migrate" scripts to move the jobs to your
> preferred nodes, if necessary.

I usually start all jobs on my local node and let them get migrated.
This will usually take some minutes, but as the rendering time for a
picture is better described in weeks than days at the moment, the
startup time is not important as longs as the nodes do not run out of
memory. Also I think I should write a small how-to, as this way of
distributing renderings works really nice (as long as the network is
stable, else the ssh or former rsh way is more fault tolerant).

I started the rpict processes just the same way ranimate would do, as
far as I know rpict -ro will find out which view to use from the
viewfile as this should be containes in the image header, right? So the
command is

nohup /opt/openmosix/bin/mosrun -c /opt/radiance/bin/rpict
@stills/render.opt -w0 -ro stills/frame003.unf scene_illum.oct &

for the third frame. In fact, it is amazing again and again how
powerful these small little radiance tools are, e.g. that I can recover
that easily...

One other question, did anyone use openssi with radiance? It should
even allow to use rpict with shared memory (-PP), but I could not
install it so far because it like to live in it's own network, and my
machines have to integrate in an existing network.

CU Lars.