[Radiance-general] ranimate, recovering from broken rpicts?

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Sun Feb 19 17:28:09 CET 2006

Lars O. Grobe wrote:

> I usually start all jobs on my local node and let them get migrated.
> This will usually take some minutes, but as the rendering time for a
> picture is better described in weeks than days at the moment, the
> startup time is not important as longs as the nodes do not run out of
> memory. Also I think I should write a small how-to, as this way of
> distributing renderings works really nice (as long as the network is
> stable, else the ssh or former rsh way is more fault tolerant).

Yes Lars, I was fascinated to read of your use of ranimate, and would
love to hear more about the process.  Francesco, you had posted a
lengthy analysis of your use of openmosix a while back, but I thought
your conclusion was that the performance was not worth the hassle.  I
just re-read it and I see that my recollection is a little off.  It
seems that if you have enough (fast) machines to dedicate to the effort,
you can set up a really killer rendering cluster.  I will have to delve
into this a bit more.  Lars & Francesco, I'd love to hear more about
your process(es) for doing distributed renderings.  I recently started
using rad -N on multiprocessor machines at work, but of course now I
want more. =)