[Radiance-general] ranimate, recovering from broken rpicts?

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 07:59:11 CET 2006

Hi Lars,

Jack is correct.  Ranimate recovers frames using the following method:

1) Checks "STATUS" file to see where it left off with filtered frames.
2) Starts batch of filtering processes (in parallel according to your
ranimate input file).
3) For each filtering process that fails (presumably due to
unfinished rpict output), ranimate starts serial rpict recovery
processes, one after the other, using local node so it can be sure of
new rpict exit status.
4) If these rpict runs fail, or pfilt fails afterwards, ranimate
gives it up as a bad job.

In your case, it might be better to manually start rpict -ro on each
of the failed frames on separate nodes in your cluster, so the
processes are not run in serial.

Using ranimate to break up the rendering of large images rather than
rpiece is a clever idea I had not heard before.  Rpiece has the same
problem as ranimate with recovering aborted processes, forcing it to
go through and find the redo the pieces one by one in a serial fashion.

-Greg