[Radiance-general] ranimate, recovering from broken rpicts?

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Sun Feb 19 00:59:53 CET 2006

Hi Lars,

I am not sure that I can answer everything here. But I will offer what I
can. I believe that the recovery mode does operate as one (1) process
not multiple. It would be too difficult to keep track of what is being
recovered if there were multiple processes, rather with one process it
just steps through to pick up anything that is unfinished. I believe
that it is checking for .unf frames not .pic filtered frames.

Hope this helps a bit.

-Jack

Lars O. Grobe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it is the first time I ran into trouble with ranimate... I use it, no,
> not render animations, but to distribute single picture renderings
> over an openmosix cluster (I simply use three host lines pointing to
> localhost). Now my rpicts died because of lack of memory (they all
> tried to migrate to one node at once), and I restarted ranimate in the
> hope that it would continue rendering (the pictures rendered almost
> one week so far, and I donot want to start at zero again). I was
> surprised by the following:
>
> - When rpict failed, the frames were still filtered by pfilt, so I
> have frame001-003.pic in the output directory now.
> - Still, ranimate found that something went wrong, as it started with
> -ro. I hope it will not get confused by the fact there is already a
> target file frame001.pic.
> - Strange enough, ranimate recovered, but now it started just one
> process, though there are three broken (unfinished) frames and more
> waiting in the viewfile. Will it try to recover the three frames one
> by one instead of starting processes on all nodes now? That will take
> a very long time too complete, and my machines are getting lazy ;-)
>
> So, many questions from a ranimate-beginner (and mis-user, but I don't
> want to imagine how much time it will take to render an animation of
> that scene...)
>
> CU Lars.

# Jack de Valpine
# president
#
# visarc incorporated
# http://www.visarc.com
#
# channeling technology for superior design and construction