[Radiance-general] ranimate, recovering from broken rpicts?

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Sat Feb 18 21:42:22 CET 2006

Hi,

it is the first time I ran into trouble with ranimate... I use it, no,
not render animations, but to distribute single picture renderings over
an openmosix cluster (I simply use three host lines pointing to
localhost). Now my rpicts died because of lack of memory (they all
tried to migrate to one node at once), and I restarted ranimate in the
hope that it would continue rendering (the pictures rendered almost one
week so far, and I donot want to start at zero again). I was surprised
by the following:

- When rpict failed, the frames were still filtered by pfilt, so I have
frame001-003.pic in the output directory now.
- Still, ranimate found that something went wrong, as it started with
-ro. I hope it will not get confused by the fact there is already a
target file frame001.pic.
- Strange enough, ranimate recovered, but now it started just one
process, though there are three broken (unfinished) frames and more
waiting in the viewfile. Will it try to recover the three frames one by
one instead of starting processes on all nodes now? That will take a
very long time too complete, and my machines are getting lazy ;-)

So, many questions from a ranimate-beginner (and mis-user, but I don't
want to imagine how much time it will take to render an animation of
that scene...)

CU Lars.