[Radiance-general] Deriving mist parameters

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 07:55:03 CET 2006

Tough questions, Andy.

If you know the droplet size and density, you should be able to
compute the likelihood of striking a particle in one unit's distance
(e.g., in a world coordinate system of meters: 1 unit == 1 meter).
To take a real example, let's say you assume spherical droplets of
100 microns in diameter at a density of 10^5 drops per cubic meter.
That means that one droplet (on average) can be found in every 10^-5
of a cubic meter.  More importantly, looking through one meter's
distance in this volume, your chance of encountering a droplet equals
the combined cross-sectional area of all the droplets in the volume
divided by the volume.  That is:

	10^5 * pi*(50e-6 meter)^2 / 1 meter^3

or a 0.000785 (0.075%) probability. This is safely in the range of a
single-scattering medium for an interior space, since a photon would
need to travel nearly a kilometer to have a 50% chance of
encountering a droplet.

Your extinction coefficient is approximately equal to the above
probability, i.e., the average fraction of rays scattered per unit
distance.  The value needs to be computed more carefully as the
density*size gets larger, since we really should be computing the
probability of a ray *not* encountering a droplet after a unit's
distance, and one minus that is the extinction coefficient.  I was
trying to work out the exact formula, but it gets into ODE's, which
was one of my worst subjects in math, right after complex number
analysis...  It's only a problem when you get into the multiple
scattering regime, where Radiance isn't really well-suited anymore.

The albedo for water droplets is quite high, somewhere around 0.999,
and the H-G is about 0.84 (values taken from "Rendering with
Radiance," p. 595).  These values do not change with drop size or
density.

I am not sure how visibility length relates to extinction.  I did a
quick Google search and found the following tidbit at
<www.envirotechsensors.com>:
> Conversion from extinction coefficient to visibility involves
> different algorithms, one for daytime and one for night. Daytime
> visibility is related to the viewing of dark objects against a
> light sky as previously mentioned. For measurement of visibility in
> the daytime, Koschmieder’s Law is used:
>
> V = 3/σ
>
>  Where V is the visibility and σ is the extinction coefficient
>
>  Nighttime visibility is related to the distance at which a point
> source of light of known intensity can be seen. For measurement of
> visibility at night, Allard’s Law is used:
>
>  V = e-σ*V/0.00336
>
>  Where V is the visibility and σ is the extinction coefficient.
>
>  Most applications will use only the Koschmieder’s (V = 3/σ)
> formula. The aviation community typically uses a photometer to
> measure the day/night condition and applies both formulas depending
> on the ambient background light.
So, a daytime visibility of 0.8 meters corresponds to an extinction
coefficient of 3.75 m^-1, which of course is nonsense because
extinction must be < 1.  I assume this approximation doesn't really
apply below a certain visibility distance, >> 3 in whatever units you
have.  Again, this relates to the problem mentioned above with
multiple scattering, and you need to make sure your in a single-
scattering regime for any of this to make sense.

I hope this helps.  It sure got me confused!
-Greg