[Radiance-general] Deriving mist parameters

Andy Stone andy.stone at bdsp.com
Wed Dec 6 14:24:01 CET 2006

Hi all,

I am trying to use radiance to simulate a room filled with a fine water
droplet mist.  If I know a little about the composition of the mist
(e.g. droplet size and density), is there a way to derive the extinction
coefficient (-me), scattering albedo (-ma) and eccentricity parameter
(-mg)?

Also, the beginning of chapter 14 of Rendering With Radiance suggests
that the single scatter approximation used is only appropriate for thin
mists - is there a guideline for how thin "thin" should be?  I want to
try several different thicknesses including some cases where visibility
might be less than one metre...

Thanks,

Andy Stone