[Radiance-general] making my own ies file

Chris Foster chris.foster at npl.co.uk
Fri Aug 4 11:06:44 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I've never had so many ppl help on a subject, thanks alot rob, halley, thomas, dave and christian. very much appreciated.

Dave and rob you both talk about a light loss factor, as a multiplier, i gather you mean the candela multiplier field in an ies file. no need to reply if im right...just please tell me if im wrong! i'll just leave this as 1 and then use the -m option if needed.

ill use the 380,000 lumens in my lumens per lamp value then, although by the sounds of things its not crucial what i use.

thomas - i was aware that my terminology was mixed up, but now its not-thanks. got a copy of that lamp now thanks.

halley - i think that 38000 fixture output is a bit low, the efficiency should be higher.but ur information helped, thanks.

rob - they do really throw out some light. from about 2m away we got about 100k lux. after using all of them (we have 5) for a couple of weeks some bright spark mentioned that we may be gettin a little bit too much UV so we had them tested. a single one from 2.5m away is above UV radiation safety standards after 20 mins, we had all 5 pointed at us from about 2m away, meaning we were only safe under their collective glare for 4 mins. we would spend all day under them......whoops. needless to say we installed some UV filters afterwards. yeah i presumed that the fresnal lens was taken into account already with the photometric data, dont know why i mentioned it really, but thanks anyway for confirming my suspicions ;)

so my 2 final ies file will look as below,

spot.ies

TILT=NONE

1 380000 1 12 1 1 2 -.376 0 0
0 0.5 1.5 3 4 5 6 7.5 9 11 17 90
0
1880000 1800000 1600000 1000000 600000 400000 250000 120000 100000 60000 0 0

flood.ies

TILT=NONE

1 380000 1 14 1 1 2 -.376 0 0
0 7 10 13 16 22 26 30 36 40 44 50 60 90
0
176000 166000 168000 168000 160000 148000 142000 120000 44000 12000 6000 2000 0 0

if anyone see's anything wrong with these please shout at me!

thanks enormously

chris

privileged material; it is for the intended addressee(s) only.
If you are not a named addressee, you must not use, retain or
disclose such information.

NPL Management Ltd cannot guarantee that the e-mail or any
attachments are free from viruses.

NPL Management Ltd. Registered in England and Wales. No: 2937881
Registered Office: Serco House, 16 Bartley Wood Business Park,
                   Hook, Hampshire, United Kingdom  RG27 9UY