[Radiance-general] making my own ies file

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 20:06:52 CEST 2006

 From Rob Guglielmetti, who isn't able to get through to the list at
the moment...

Subject: 	Re: [Radiance-general] making my own ies file
Date: 	Thu, 03 Aug 2006 10:12:00 -0600
From: 	Rob Guglielmetti <rpg at rumblestrip.org>
To: 	Radiance general discussion <radiance-general at radiance-online.org>

Chris Foster wrote:

> Hi Dave
>
> yeah i know what type of lamp, it was in the last email i wrote to
> christian, its a 4000w fresnal lens spotlight from Arri. how do the
> mean and initial lumens value help me? do i use one of them in the
> 'lumens per lamp' value for the ies file

Hi Chris, et al.:

Chris, the fresnel lens has nothing to do with the lamp.  Just want
to be clear on that.  The lens is part of the luminaire itself and
its behavior should be accounted for in the candela values you got
from the website. Arri makes luminaires, not lamps.  (And that 4K
fresnel is a kick-butt luminaire!!  I used their 2K spots in my
theatre days; those 4K's must _really_ throw some light. The lamp
socket for the 2K was nuts, with its own mechanical clamp that held
it in place.  I still remember the lamp code: CYX.  Don't ask me why
that tidbit remains in my brain sixteen years after the fact, when I
can't even remember what I had for dinner last night.  Anyway...)

The lumens/lamp field really should contain the initial lumens of the
lamp used in the luminaire when it was photometered, per the
specification.  That's just good practice in case someone else ever
uses that file and they have a different lamp; that way one can
tailor the output to reflect a different lamp output using the
multiplier (see below).  The fact of the matter is that in Radiance
(and I'm pretty sure this is true of AGI as well), it really doesn't
matter what you put in the lumens/lamp field in the ies file, as the
candelas are what they are, regardless.  Like I said, it's just good
practice to follow the spec.  That said, in Lightscape, if you
changed the lumens in that field, you changed the output of the
luminaire, but this is not really the way things are supposed to
work.  That's what the multiplier is for.  The multiplier field
allows you to adjust the luminaire output to reflect a different lamp
output, as well as the effect of all the other elements that go into
the Light Loss Factor (LLF).

This brings me to mean vs. initial.  Lamp catalogs usually have both
values, the mean value quantifying the lamp's lumen depreciation over
time.  It's nice to have both because then you can compute more
accurate LLD multipliers (mean lumens/initial lumens=LLD), as they
vary from lamp type to lamp type, and manufacturer to manufacturer.
Of course LLD is only one element of the total LLF.

Note also that ies2rad has its own multiplier (-m), so you could
leave the multiplier in the ies file at 1 and use the -m to apply
your multiplier (this is what I do).
- Rob Guglielmetti
www.rumblestrip.org