[Radiance-general] rtcontrib

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 03:59:07 CET 2005

Hi Santiago,

I wish I could offer you some words of encouragement, because I
appreciate the difficulty you face applying rtcontrib to daylight
coefficients.  The truth is, you really need some scripts to help out
with the task, and I haven't yet had a chance to write a general set
of scripts or an executive program for DC analysis.  I am working on
this project currently, as a matter of fact.

All I have at this point is a few test scripts I assembled for a
daylight simulation study, and I can make these available for you if
you need an early start on this.  If you can wait a few weeks, I will
have something much better, I hope.

Just to answer your question, adding together the rtcontrib outputs
directly gives you the result for a uniform sky.  To get a particular
sky, you must multiply each image by the average radiance of the
corresponding sky patch.  To compute this, a simple rtrace
calculation using the desired sky model and a set of randomly
distributed rays over the hemisphere will do the trick.  Such a set
of rays is given in the file "ray/lib/tregsamp.dat", where there are
64 rays per sky patch.  The command to compute pcomb arguments from
this file is:

rtrace -h skymodel.oct < tregsamp.dat \
         | total -64 -m \
         | rcalc -o '-s ${$2} c_${recno-1}.pic'

I realize this is just a clue, but if you wait a few weeks, hopefully
I can provide a complete solution.

-Greg