R: [Radiance-general] wintel binaries

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Fri Oct 14 01:58:51 CEST 2005

Francesco Anselmo wrote:

>Hi Jelle,
>
>Thanks for your feedback and support, but I've done really very little,
>and think we all need to thank both Greg for keeping adding new features
>to Radiance, Georg for having set up Scons and fixed all the windows
>compatibility issues, and both of them for still maintaining the
>precious Radiance code without compromising stability and reliability
>of results.
>
>Mh, as a Linux addict, I still feel a bit guilty for making more
>accessible Radiance to the "lazy" windows users, especially after
>Greg's "wrap-up & outlook" presentation at the Radiance Workshop in Montreal ;)
>I'm so sorry I've missed it ...

Hi Francesco,

As you were writing this email, I was struggling with making some
in-house scripts operate on either wintel or linux, and I don't know if
you should feel guilty or not.  Certainly having windows binaries of the
latest code is a big help for people who can't or won't deal with
linux.  As for me, I *like* linux (but *love* OSX) =8-), and so here I'm
happy to report that just today I got one of our scripts going on both
windows and linux (gotta love Python, which takes care of 95% of that
problem all by itself).  The availability of new windows binaries for
3.7 will just make this setup even more uniform, and I'll have to have a
look at those.  (Hey Schorsch, could these binaries be "dropped in" to
an existing Rayfront installation?)

And yeah, we missed you in Montreal too!  (and Schorsch, and Jack, and
Pillo, and PaB, and John M, and everyone else who make this list so useful!)

- Rob Guglielmetti
www.rumblestrip.org