[Radiance-general] lighting per pixel or per face?

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Wed Mar 23 23:03:33 CET 2005

Hi,

You probably need to figure out how to export your polygonal geometry in
a format such as .obj or .3ds which can be converted into Radiance with
smoothing. Alternatively, you could construct the object in Radiance
using the built in cylinder and ring geometric primitives.

-Jack

Despina Michael wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I am wondering whether radiance make per pixel computations for
> lighting or it just make computations per face (triangle/surface)
>
> I have tried to illuminate a cylinder with a light probe.
> If you look at resulted image, you can distinguish the faces/divisions
> from which cylinder model is made of.
>
> You can see the result in jpg here
> http://www2cs.ucy.ac.cy/~cs99dm1/resultRadiance.jpg
> <http://www2.cs.ucy.ac.cy/%7Ecs99dm1/resultRadiance.jpg>
> The problem that I tried to explain in the previous paragraph is there
> where red arrows show. (I added arrows manually)
>
> Is there a way to make the lighting smoother in area  where red arrows
> show?
>
> I used this to take the result:
> rpict -x 600 -y 600 -t 30 -ab 2 -ar 10000 -aa 1.0 -ad 2048 -as 1024
> -st 0 -sj 1 -lw 0 -lr 8 -vf camera.vp thermos12_base.oct > res.hdr
>
> Thanks,
> Despina

#	John E. de Valpine
#	president
#
#	visarc incorporated
#	http://www.visarc.com
#
#	channeling technology for superior design and construction