[Radiance-general] RE: Luminaire octree

Zack Rogers zrogers at archenergy.com
Thu Jun 23 20:15:12 CEST 2005

Hi Jack

> It looks like you are getting light in your image. There seems to be a
> lot of light on the floor. Perhaps it is not working the way you expect?

The image I posted is of the correctly modeled luminaire before trying
to replmark it as an octree (1st attempt which seems to be a dead end)
or replmark an octree of geometry and separately replmark -x 4 ies files
(2nd attempt which did not give any light output - ies markers did
overlap geometry octree bounding cube) or replmark -x it as a single
.rad file (3rd attempt not giving same light output as the posted image,
but some light output nonetheless).

> One thing to do that might help at least verify the spatial location,
> would be to edit luminaire/hessamerica+++ca45-71r+++6500.rfl and make
> sure that the light source is "light" rather than "illum." This way
> you can see its location in the image. Then make a scene that only
> includes:
>
> !replmarks -x luminaire/hessamerica+++ca45-71r+++6500.rfl l_ies
> scene/l_ies.rad

I am pretty sure the distribution is close to correct now, I already did
the "light" definition to ensure this.  For this fixture, my illum box
is 4' x 1'9" x 2'6", encompassing the reflector, supports, and lamp for
each arm.  The central support arm does pass through this illum box, but
most candelas are going forward so I do not think this is causing
significant inaccuracies in the resulting distribution.  I think the
shadow lines on the floor are a little more intense because of this but
that's about it.  Any issues with applying ies data to such a large
illum box?

Thanks for the suggestions!  Have you been successful using replmarks -x
for light sources in your renderings?  I think the double use of
replmarks -x (once for the 4 ies files, and then again for my final
placement) may be causing my problems now.

Zack

--
Zack Rogers
Engineer / Daylighting Designer