[Radiance-general] RE: Luminaire octree

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Thu Jun 23 18:49:30 CEST 2005

Hi Zack,

It looks like you are getting light in your image. There seems to be a
lot of light on the floor. Perhaps it is not working the way you expect?

One thing to do that might help at least verify the spatial location,
would be to edit luminaire/hessamerica+++ca45-71r+++6500.rfl and make
sure that the light source is "light" rather than "illum." This way you
can see its location in the image. Then make a scene that only includes:

!replmarks -x luminaire/hessamerica+++ca45-71r+++6500.rfl l_ies
scene/l_ies.rad

placed in the room. This way you can see if the distribution is working
the way you expect (without the interference of actual fixture
geometry). The problem that you might be facing is the size and location
of the geometry that the distribution data is applied to vs the size and
location of the fixture geometry. You may end up needing to custom build
the geometry that represents the sources that the data is applied to.
One option to assist in this is to use the -i feature of ies2rad. This
produces a sphere with an illum material type applied to it (modified by
the distribution function). You can specify the radius of the sphere so
that it can enclose the relevant geometry of the fixture.

-Jack

--
#	John E. de Valpine
#	president