[Radiance-general] RE: Luminaire octree

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Thu Jun 23 21:04:43 CEST 2005

Hi Zack,

We use multiple replmark calls on all kinds of object including lights
and fixture geometry. Typically we define the fixture geometry and
compile it into an octree that can be instanced around. Any lights
(illum/light/glow and associated distribution data) are managed
independantly althoughf generally using the same markers used to locate
the fixture geometry. In general, the thing to remember is that anything
that is a light (eg has the following material types applied: light,
illum  and glow) must be compiled into the final top level scene octree.

Let's try to back up and consider in a more generic manner what you are
trying to do: build a scene that has multiple instances of the campo
fixture deployed. To do this, you could do the following (note there are
a few different ways and this is just what is coming out as I write):

Note I will assume mats.lib that defines your materials.

BUILD the LIGHT FIXTURE GEOMETRY (no lights, illums or glows) for 1
CAMPO FIXTURE

camp_full_geometry.rad:

    !xform -m grey_090 scene/l_reflector.rad
    !xform -m stainless_steel scene/l_metal.rad

oconv mats.lib campo_full_geometry.rad > campo_full_geometry.oct

BUILD the LIGHT SOURCES for 1 CAMPO FIXTURE

campo_light.rad

    !xform -m campo_glow scene/l_glow.rad
    !replmarks -x luminaire/hessamerica+++ca45-71r+++6500.rfl
    l_ies    scene/l_ies.rad

BUILD the SCENE

test_room.rad

    !xform -m grey_090 scene/l_room.rad
    !replmarks -i campo_full_geometry.oct    l_test_oct
    scene/l_test_oct.rad     #gives you x instanced octrees of the
    fixture in the scene
    !replmarks -x campo_light.rad    l_test_oct
    scene/l_test_oct.rad                  #gives you x xformed light
    source groupings in the scene

oconv mats.lib test_room.rad > test_room.oct
rview -ab 1 -av 0 0 0 -vf myview.vf test_room.oct

It looks like the way you have things broken down should be fine, so it
is not clear why it is not working the way you expect. My example
organizes things a little differently and I think it should work.

Regarding the large illum geometry for the ies data. I think that this
should not be a problem, but really depends on whether this is the
geometry that gets spit out by ies2rad or is it geometry that you have
built yourself. If it is the latter then you need to make sure that the
brightdata definition for the ies data includes the proper measure
(METERS!) for the box geometry, and also that it uses boxcorr/lboxcorr.

It looks like you have a glow also. You may want to assign the glow a
local radius (argument 4) to make sure that things inside the illum
geometry get some local lighting.

Hope this helps.

-Jack

--