[Radiance-general] Reflection vs specularity

atelier iebele abel atelier at iebele.nl
Wed Jul 20 13:39:16 CEST 2005

Hi,

I have a problem modelling a reflective floor of a large museum hall.
The specular and roughness components (0.08 and 0.01) in the material of
the floor  result in smooth reflections of the walls, paintings, windows
etc.
The problem arises when adding some lightsources. The lightsources cause
specular reflections with very bright specular spots (highlights) on the
floor. These specular spots do not look realistic (better said: these
highlights disturb in the image, because there are so many of them).
I have tweaked the specular, roughness and rendering parameters also,
but I can't  get rid of these specular reflection highlights, apart from
making the roughnes very small or 0. But with low or zero rougness the
relections of the other geometry become too sharp.
Is there a way to model a reflective material (or lightsource?) without
a ( or a dimmed) specular reflection highlight ?
Or any other suggestion?

Iebele