[Radiance-general] mksource program

Fitzsimmons, Rob Rob.Fitzsimmons at Summit.Fiserv.com
Wed Apr 20 20:43:13 CEST 2005

Okay,
II'll be the guy sitting in the corner with the cone hat

What should the octree consist of exactly?

I tried a rnl box - projected with angmap.cal
Made an octree and used it with mkillum.
But it produced no output.
probably because geometry is ignored...

I don't  get how it can derive anything from a probe without geometry -  the
probe image has to be projected onto something - right?

I can't make an octree directly of a probe pic - can I?

Rob "another question" Fitz

-----Original Message-----
From: Santiago Torres
To: Radiance general discussion
Sent: 4/20/2005 1:12 AM
Subject: RE: [Radiance-general] mksource program

Hi Greg and all,
I`ve tried mksource a bit and it works wonderfully, it`s a great program
(and just what I needed)
I put a page with the first sample renders:
http://home.att.ne.jp/banana/tiago/radiance/mksource.htm
rpict was only with -ab 1, and all the rest defaults since I just wanted
test the sources

first I tried mksource with the default settings but it seemed to
produce
too few sources, and the render looked unnatural
(don`t think this could be fixed with rpict settings)
I tried changing the max angle to 0.5 (-a .5) but that was too small,
and
the render took too long (at least for my laptop)
so I tried other three values (5 deg, 2 and 1, after moving to a faster
computer) and the differences are visible. The render with -a 1 took
about
15 hours, so I don`t want to imagine what would happen with -ab 3 -ad
5000
etc...
I guess it`s a compromise, and maybe making the threshold higher would
reduce the number of sources and allow a smaller -a?
I will keep trying other settings and let you know how it goes.
Regards

Santiago