[Radiance-general] Rvu window?

Peter Apian-Bennewitz apian at pab-opto.de
Tue Nov 9 18:36:48 CET 2004

Greg Ward wrote:

> I think Rob is right.  As I said in my initial reply, many window
> managers under X11 override the client window dimensions, and some can
> even be instructed how to override these dimensions for specific
> programs via a preferences file.  Unfortunately, each window manager
> has its own way of doing this, so we need to ask the X11 gurus out
> there how it might be done.  I don't really know how Gnome handles
> things, for instance.  Under twm, the user can create a ".twmrc" file
> in their home directory, which contains the variable "MaxWindowSize"
> that may be set to control the maximum dimensions for any client
> application.  Related variables are UsePPosition and RandomPlacement.
> I don't have a reference, but I know the Solaris window manager can
> direct individual client placements.

now, this topic evolves faster than I can download mails via DSL....

The X client can deny being resized/repositioned by a window manager.

        attri.override_redirect=True;           /* keep uwm silent */
        attri.backing_store=Always;             /* offscreen saved pixels */
        attri.event_mask=ButtonPressMask;

XChangeWindowAttributes(display,WID,CWEventMask|CWOverrideRedirect|CWBackingStore,&attri);

that piece of C is somewhat dated, but the  override_redirect  flag
still lives in recent X, I bet. However, I might not be very up-to-date
with my bare-metal X hacking.

Anyway- the main idea would be that the X client (rvu) has _some_ wish
how large and where it wants to be. That much the client may specify and
maybe (like) even enforce by the attributes, thereby ignoring any window
manager.
At last, the window manager is just another X-client in the world of X,
- no super natural powers assigned to it.

-Peter

PS: at least these bits belong on the dev list, mea culpa to those not
used to an X-programming overdose...

--
 pab-opto, Freiburg, Germany, http://www.pab-opto.de
 [see web page to check digital email signature]