[Radiance-dev] Re: [Radiance-general] Re: Rvu window? (moved from Radiance-dev)

Peter Apian-Bennewitz apian at pab-opto.de
Tue Nov 9 18:21:45 CET 2004

Rob Guglielmetti wrote:

> The original question remains.  Where do the defaults live?  This
> discussion has moved toward reinventing the wheel, if you ask me.  My
> question in July was how does one control default window sizes in X.
> Marija may be looking to specifically override the defaults with rvu
> (that does seem to be the question there), but the fact remains, if we
> can determine where the defaults are stored for some of our common
> Xen, that may be the simpest way. (?)
>
> ,,,

two more bits to add:

man xrdb says:

       Xrdb  is used to get or set the contents of the RESOURCE_MANAGER
property on the root window of screen 0, or the SCREEN_RESOURCES property on
       the root window of any or all screens, or everything combined.
You would normally run this program from your X startup file.

       Most X clients use the RESOURCE_MANAGER and SCREEN_RESOURCES
properties to get user preferences about color, fonts, and so  on  for
applica-
       tions.   Having this information in the server (where it is
available to all clients) instead of on disk, solves the problem in
previous ver-
       sions of X that required you to maintain defaults files on every
machine that you might use.  It also allows for dynamic changing of defaults
       without editing files.

so, sticking to the X WIndow System standards, one would put lines like

    radiance.rvu.x:800
    radiance.rvu.y:600

in a file and read that at start up of X. (xrdb -merge .Xdefaults would
be typically used in a .xinitrc file at startup)

Concerning overriding the aspect ratio given in the view with that of
pixel dimensions: rshow had (and has) the same problem and being able to
select the behaviour is nice. To avoid yet another cmdline option in
rvu, setting one pixel dimension would set the other pixel dimension
from the aspect ratio given in the view file, whereas two user supplied
pixel dimensions will fix the view aspect ratio. That'll be backward
compatible too.

-Peter

--
 pab-opto, Freiburg, Germany, http://www.pab-opto.de
 [see web page to check digital email signature]