[Radiance-general] replmarks and mirroring

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Mon May 10 00:10:34 CEST 2004

Hi!

On may way using replmarks and instances to split down a large model, I
found a problem that makes the use of the replmark tool quite hard. I
use this to build the model from lots of small files, which are
exported from CAD. The markerfiles are generated by replacing the
external references with triangles. Works really fine.

The replmarks manpage says: "The longest side is the hypoteneuse, the
second longest side is the x’-axis, and the third longest side
indicates the direction of the y’-axis. Any additional sides will be
ignored (ie. a quadrilateral may be used instead of a triangle if the
extra side is small). The z’-axis is determined by the cross product of
the x’ and y’ axes, and the origin is the common vertex between x’ and
y’." This just brings one limitation - I cannot define mirroring with
this kind of markers. In my CAD, the mirrored References give mirrored
triangles, fine, but radiance won't mirror the instance geometry, but
(z' as cross product of x' and y') will rotate it, so that it is upside
down in the radiance scene.

Is there any way to circumvent this problem? It is quite bad to be
unable to use mirroring in CAD, and makes the use of markerfiles
difficult. I wonder why z' is not determined from the surface normal.
Is there a reason not to use it, is it just to avoid further confusion
(surface normals are usually where they shouldn't go;-) ?

TIA+CU Lars.
--
Lars O. Grobe
grobe at gmx.net