[Radiance-general] Adding a new BRTDF / BSDF

Peter Apian-Bennewitz apian at pab-opto.de
Fri May 7 21:31:00 CEST 2004

David wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am in the process of developing a new BRTDF / BSDF as a part of my
> PhD that incorporates:
>
> 1) Anisotropic
>
> 2) Stratified multilayered media with Beer-Lambert transmission
> calculations.
>
> 3) Subsurface light scattering based on Stokes vector and Mueller
> calculus.
>
> 4) Diffraction based on Fourier optics.
>
> 5) Monte Carlo methods
>
> To simulate materials such as iridescent (pearlescent) paint, CD /
> DVD, mother-of-pearl, pearls, opals and various other complex
> multilayered surfaces. I’ve converted the various algorithms into a
> series of simple C functions and would like to use Radiance to
> simulate these material properties. However, after a quick examination
> of the dielectric.c file the implementation is not going to be as easy
> as I’d expected especially incorporating Monte Carlo sampling methods.
>
> Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on how I go about
> incorporating the algorithms into Radiance, and especially how I go
> about incorporating Monte Carlo sampling into the BRTDF / BSDF within
> Radiance?
>
> Thanks
>
> David

Hi David,
cool. A new material model promises advances in material models IMHO,
not only for pearls, but for very basic materials like aluminium too.
Do you plan to do validations on your new model, e.g. compare calculated
results with measurements or use measured BRDF data and fit parameters
of your new model to these ?
-Peter

--
 pab-opto, Freiburg, Germany, http://www.pab-opto.de
 [see web page to check digital email signature]