[Radiance-general] Adding a new BRTDF / BSDF

David david.k.brayford at stud.man.ac.uk
Fri May 7 17:35:19 CEST 2004

Hi,

I am in the process of developing a new BRTDF / BSDF as a part of my PhD
that incorporates:

1) Anisotropic
2) Stratified multilayered media with Beer-Lambert transmission
calculations.
3) Subsurface light scattering based on Stokes vector and Mueller
calculus.
4) Diffraction based on Fourier optics.
5) Monte Carlo methods

To simulate materials such as iridescent (pearlescent) paint, CD / DVD,
mother-of-pearl, pearls, opals and various other complex multilayered
surfaces. I've converted the various algorithms into a series of  simple
C functions and would like to use Radiance to simulate these material
properties. However, after a quick examination of the dielectric.c file
the implementation is not going to be as easy as I'd expected especially
incorporating Monte Carlo sampling methods.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on how I go about
incorporating the algorithms into Radiance, and especially how I go
about incorporating Monte Carlo sampling into the BRTDF / BSDF within
Radiance?

Thanks
David