[Radiance-general] instances

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Wed Mar 24 15:18:34 CET 2004

Hi Rob,

It is possible that some of the octrees that define your instances need
to be recompiled (w/ oconv) because of changes or updates to materials
or geometry relating to the instance object. This could occur if you are
using one master material file or sharing multiple material files within
your scene. A reason that this may only be occuring sporadically as an
error is that for views where the instances are not in the view then
rays are not going to be traced to the instance object.

If what I have indicated is in fact the basis for the error, then one
way to avoid this is to comile your instance objects with the -f option
(this in effect binds everything into the octree ) making the object
self sustaining. The potential downside to this is if these instance are
going to be dependant on changes and upadates to materials then you need
to remember to recompile them if you make changes to the material files
(that is additions or deletions of material information, changes to
current material parameters are fine).

Hope this helps,

-Jack

Fitzsimmons, Rob wrote:

> I'm getting sporatic errrors when I'm using the instance primitive...
>
>    "Modifier in tree; octree stale?"
>
> Apperantly, it says I'm using a modifier in the instance that was
> already defined in a .rad?
>
> My rif file list these scenes
>
> scene= overcast.rad - # lighting
> material= Officemat.rad   #materials only
> scene= OfficestallNC.rad  #geometry only
> scene= memberservices.rad  - # contains  2 instances  deskdude.oct
> and helpcube.oct
>    # deskdude.oct         contains       deskdude.rad
>    #  helpcube.oct         contains       basicdude0.rad and cube.rad
>
> I have looked through to make sure I'm not duplicating (or relying on)
> previous modifiers
>
> I'm not getting what I might be missing - the render will work for a
> while - then I change a viewpoint and restart the rif - that's when I
> get the error.
>
> Any Ideas or tips?
>
> Thanks Rob F

#	John E. de Valpine
#	president
#
#	visarc incorporated
#	http://www.visarc.com
#
#	channeling technology for superior design and construction