[Radiance-general] Re: instances

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Wed Mar 24 05:17:07 CET 2004

Hi Rob,

The error message is probably due to using an unfrozen octree for one
(or more) of your instance(s).  This particular error is rare, because
it requires geometry and materials somehow be reordered in the input,
and usually one takes stuff out or adds it, which results in another
message, "bad object count."  The solution in either case is to apply
the -f option when you create the octree(s) you use for your
instance(s).  This avoids problems when you move the instance octree(s)
to a library location, and speeds their loading.

-Greg

> From: "Fitzsimmons, Rob" <Rob.Fitzsimmons at Summit.Fiserv.com>
> Date: March 23, 2004 4:34:14 PM PST

I'm getting sporatic errrors when I'm using the instance primitive...

   "Modifier in tree; octree stale?"

Apperantly, it says I'm using a modifier in the instance that was
already defined in a .rad?

My rif file list these scenes

scene= overcast.rad - # lighting
material= Officemat.rad   #materials only
scene= OfficestallNC.rad  #geometry only
scene= memberservices.rad  - # contains  2 instances  deskdude.oct  and
helpcube.oct
   # deskdude.oct         contains       deskdude.rad
   #  helpcube.oct         contains       basicdude0.rad and cube.rad

I have looked through to make sure I'm not duplicating (or relying on)
previous modifiers

I'm not getting what I might be missing - the render will work for a
while - then I change a viewpoint and restart the rif - that's when I
get the error.

Any Ideas or tips?

Thanks Rob F