[Radiance-general] Fwd: errors from hdrgen

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Fri Jun 11 17:09:17 CEST 2004

Hi Martin,

I believe that hdrgen isn't coming up with a good response function for
your camera with this scene, probably due to the strong color cast of
the walls.  Since hdrgen (and Photosphere) compute the responses for
each of the RGB channels, using a lot of colorful patch samples can
skew the result.  I've never seen such an extreme example before,
though -- most walls are off-white so this hadn't come up.  Come to
think of it, the tendency of cameras to super-saturate their colors
could spell trouble in such cases, and I probably should modify my
algorithm to avoid colorful patch samples.

Thanks for the image set -- I'll run some experiments on my end to see
if I can improve on this.  It is important to fix the white balance
whenever you take an HDR sequence, as the camera in auto white mode
will alter the coefficients between exposures otherwise, making it
impossible to get a consistent result.

-Greg