[Radiance-general] Re: os 10.3 panther raypath set

Georg Mischler [email protected]
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 20:44:08 -0500 (EST)

Roland Schregle wrote:

> Yeah, I ran into that too with Mandrake, and it pissed me off!

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with renaming the rview
program in Radiance, and I agree that it would be the cleanest
solution. Backwards compatibility problems may be solved through
an alias to the old name by those who really can't change their
habits.

I'm not sure which one came first, but the rview hard link to vi
has to be expected on every unix type system (vi is required by
posix). As has already been mentioned, we're an extremely small
minority in comparison, so if anyone should move it would be us.

>  I can't imagine for the life of me why anybody'd
> call vi their editor of choice,

Because it's by far the fastest and most efficient editor of all
I have ever tried (admittedly, only after you have climbed the
initial learning curve). Not every tool is for every person, so
you shouldn't be too surprised about other people making
different choices than you would.

> but I know for a fact some individuals
> at Fraunhofer ISE swear by it.

Not to mention that, if I'm not mistaken, Radiance has always
been almost exclusively developed with vi (gvim in my case).

-schorsch

--
Georg Mischler  --  simulations developer  --  schorsch at schorsch com
+schorsch.com+  --  lighting design tools  --  http://www.schorsch.com/